If you’re a regular whey protein drinker, you can probably relate to that horrible moment of realising you left your protein shaker unwashed overnight.
The stench of an unwashed shaker is up there as one of the worst offenders in the world of bad smells.
So why does it smell so bad? Whey protein is derived from milk, created as a by-product of cheese production. We all know that leaving milk at room temperature for a couple of weeks won’t result in the scent of freshly cut grass and essentially, the science is the same. So if you were hoping for your shaker to smell like a bed of roses after a quick rinse, think again!
Whilst it may seem obvious, we thought it’d be useful to offer a few tips for prolonging the life of your shaker (especially as Whey Box shakers are far too cute to throw away).
- Rinse immediately – if you’re unable to wash your shaker straight away giving it a good rinse won’t do any harm at all!
- Soak overnight – fill with boiling water and a drop of washing up liquid then leave to stand whilst you get some shut-eye. Rinse in the morning and you’re good to go.
- Scrub! – next time you’re at the supermarket, stock up on scouring pads and give your shaker a full valet service.
- Baking soda – a very useful cleaning product which also acts as a natural deodouriser. Use a teaspoon with warm water – shake, scrub and rinse!
- Store wisely – if, like many people, once you’ve washed your shaker you screw the cap back on to store – this may be the game-changer. Put the cap in the shaker and only screw the lid back on, giving your shaker a chance to ‘breathe’ (images below).
If you have any handy tips for keeping your shaker fresh let us know in the comments!